Health Promotion and Wellness, BLDG 4
It is the mission of the NMCCL Health Promotion and Wellness Department to empower patients to choose healthy behaviors and reduce their risk of chronic disease through health education and preventative wellness programs. Our services include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Tobacco cessation
- Healthy pregnancy
- Nutrition education
- Chronic disease prevention
- Prediabetes education and prevention
- Heart health and hypertension education
Through our programming, we aim to support our patients in increasing control in their own health.
Our classes are FREE to all active duty personnel and their family members, retirees, and DOD employees.
Need more information, or ready to register? Call us at 910-451-3712 (Option #1)
Classes are free to all Active Duty personnel and their family members, retirees, and DoD employees.
Please call us at 910-451-3712 to register for a class or to make an appointment with a Health Educator.
- Tobacco Free Living: Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialists meet clients where they are at with either 1:1 or group session counseling for tobacco cessation. Nicotine replacement therapy, and prescription medications are available.
- Ship Shape: 8-session class provides education on healthy eating, stress management, physical activity, and behavior modification techniques. Taught by a Certified Health Education Specialist. Designed for ALL adults – both active duty and civilians—who are overweight, or interested in weight-loss or weight-maintenance.
- CDC-Recognized Diabetes Prevention Lifestyle Change Program: A lifestyle coach, specially trained to teach the CDC approved curriculum, will meet you where you are to support and help you learn healthy new skills to reverse Prediabetes and prevent Type 2 Diabetes. You will be empowered to set and meet weekly healthy goals.
- Early Pregnancy Class: Strongly encouraged for all first-time moms! Learn what to expect during pregnancy, including warning signs, fetal development, healthy eating, & common discomforts of pregnancy.
- Gestational Diabetes Class: Stay healthy during pregnancy despite a diabetes diagnosis through this class taught by a registered nurse.
- Lamaze Childbirth Education Class: Learn what to expect, and how to cope during labor through a series of 2 classes.
- Infant Care Class: Registered Nurse teaches you about your newborn and how to best care for him or her!
- Heart Health and Hypertension: Learn how to improve your cardiovascular health and reduce your risk of disease by attending a Heart Health Class. Patients are educated on the basics of cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure, modifiable risk factors, and dietary modification based on the American Heart Associations “Life’s Simple Seven.”
- Guided Walking Groups: Looking to increase your activity? Get moving and enjoy the fresh air during a guided walk along the trails of Camp Lejeune. Participants must bring their own water, and wear comfortable walking shoes. Pregnant and postpartum moms are more than welcome to bring along their little ones in strollers.
Walking groups are held every Tuesday and Wednesday, starting at Paradise Point Park (by the tennis courts). Walks begin at 08:30, and end at 09:30.